header

Clarks Original Desert Boot (CDBs) Beeswax Leather Review

CDBs, Chukkas, Brown Boots


CDBs, chukkas

CDBs, chukkas

CDBs, Chukkas, Brown Boots, Cheap

CDBs chukkas brown boots

CDBs chukkas brown boots

CDB's chukkas brown boots

CDBs CHukkas brown boots

*All photographs taken right after taking them out of the box. Unworn and safely handled

If you’ve read my Wish List post, you’d know how excited I am to finally get these boots!

If you’re thinking about purchasing these Clarks in the Beeswax Leather color, you've come to the right place! I’ll answer many of the questions that I spent days researching in hopes that it saves you plenty of time and provides you a clearer vision of whether or not they're right for you.

Why did I buy these boots in particular?
I ordered the Clarks Desert Boots (CDBs) from Amazon in the Beeswax color because I wanted boots that were simple, versatile, fairly inexpensive, and fashionable at the same time. I also wanted boots that look better aesthetically with age and wear. Although I've never had any other Clarks shoes before, CDBs fit the criteria I was looking for perfectly.

Why Beeswax instead of all the other colors?
Earth tones seem to work really well with a wide variety of outfits. The Beeswax CDBs I purchased came in a color similar to a bar of chocolate (more on this later) and since I don’t buy shoes that often, it was important for me to invest in a pair that I could use for multiple occasions. Other colors that have been suggested for versatility are Taupe Distressed and Sand Suede.

What’s the difference between Clarks Original Desert Boots and Clarks Bushacre 2?
Physically, it looks almost identical but the main difference is the sole. Both have a 1’’ heel height and the CDB’s are naturally crepe-soled while Bushacre 2’s have a synthetic crepe sole. Crepe soles harden in colder weather and soften in warmer weather which basically means it can be slippery in the cold. Without getting too much into detail about what each of these soles do, Bushacre’s are slightly better if you live in wet, snowy climates because you won’t slip and fall as much compared to CDBs. If you live somewhere that rarely sees snow or rain, like Southern California, this won’t be much of a problem. I don’t think these boots are really designed for non-desert weather, hence the name, but you can always get it resoled or just avoid wearing them when it’s pouring outside.

What size should I get?
People have suggested sizing down half a shoe size and some even suggest to size-down one full shoe size. It’s good to measure the length of your feet and adjust it accordingly to the brand. My feet are 9 3/4 inches long, which is a size 7.5 according to this chart on the product page. I decided to size-down half a shoe size so I bought the boots in a size 7. (It's important to note that sizes for different brands may vary.)

How do they fit?
Upon initial fitting, they were perfect length wise, a little snug even. There is a bit of pressure at the top of my foot where the tongue begins and the width feels a little narrow right out the box. Fortunately, leather will stretch once it’s broken in so unless your foot isn’t on the verge of losing circulation, man-up and deal with the discomfort for a little while. I highly suggest sizing down half a size, I think it would be extremely uncomfortable if you sized down one whole shoe size.

What’s the difference between Beeswax and Beeswax Leather?
If you’re ordering through Amazon, you may have encountered this problem. According to many responses to the same question, apparently they’re the same exact thing, just listed twice with different names for whatever reason.

Why are some CDBs Beeswax colors dark brown while others are a lighter shade?
There has been quite a scare about people receiving darker colors. I don’t know the exact reason for this but if I had to guess, it’s probably due to where the actual shoe was manufactured. When I first got mine, they were on the darker side. There could be many reasons for the color difference like weather conditions, dye, quality control, etc., but what I’ve noticed is that the color can change drastically when stretched or creased. I lifted the tongue to see the insole and right away, the crease changed to a lighter color. I wouldn’t be too alarmed if your CDBs are darker because I’m sure they’ll adjust with age, but if it really bothers you, I would return them.

Other Thoughts:

  • A shoe tree can preserve shape and even help stretch the leather a little.
  • You can resole your boots at a cobbler if you need to.
  • Changing the shoelace can add an interesting kick to the look.
  • These are really comfortable after a few wears.
  • I’ll make an updated post a year or so from today once they’re all broken in.

Okay, now where do I buy these?!
If you're in a hurry, you can get them at a Clarks store and many other retailers located inside of a mall. You might be able to find them in a thrift shop if you don’t mind second-hand shoes with a huge discount. If you don't mind waiting a few days, you can also buy them directly from the Clarks website. I personally purchased mine through Amazon .

Verdict?
They’re awesome! If you’re looking for chukka boots that look great and aren’t going to make your wallet cry, you really can’t go wrong with these.

Tl;Dr version:

Cons
  • Uncomfortable at the beginning
  • Scratches easily
  • Color may vary

Pros
  • Looks great
  • Versatile
  • Inexpensive

Helpful tips:
  • Size-down half of your actual shoe size
  • Avoid wearing in snowy, wet climates
  • These look better with age
  • Don’t worry too much about initial fit and color
  • Most versatile colors are Beeswax, Taupe Distressed, and Sand Suede

Where to purchase: Clarks & Amazon

Hopefully this answers a lot of your questions. If you have any comments or questions, please leave them below and I'll try my best to answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...